Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Most Holy Place




During a break in studies yesterday, I sat at the keyboard, playing and singing one of my favorite songs. It mirrors Psalm 27:4. "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple." The holy presence of the Lord could be felt in the room. Then...

"Take me past the outer courts, into the holy place,
Past the brasen altar, Lord I want to see your face.
Pass me by the crowds of people, and the priests who sing their praise.
I hunger and thirst for your righteousness, and it's only found in one place.

Take me into the Holy of Holies.
Take me in by the blood of the Lamb.
Take me into the holy of holies.
Take the coal, cleanse my lips. Here I am."

I was struck by the irony that I was sitting only about one mile from the site of the original Holy of Holies. I have visited the Western Wall and stood among ladies holding books, some of them bending slightly at the waist and turned in the direction of the Holy of Holies as they read their prayers.

The Ark of the Covenant is gone and the Western Wall is all that remains of the magnificent temple. The exact location of the Most Holy Place is debated. Most believe it is under the Dome of the Rock, which is currently inaccessible to Jews. Others believe it is elsewhere on the mount.

I must say that I have been disappointed by my visits to the Wall. Maybe some have had profound experiences there, but I did not. What was I expecting? Even I am not quite sure. But, I found it stifling. I could not even speak the name of my Savior very loud, for it is not a Christian place, but a Jewish place. Though I know He was there, I could not feel Him.

Yet, as I played and sang this personal prayer to the Lord, His presence filled our pleasant but certainly not magnificent classroom. Others there with me were weeping and feeling Him too. He does not require a grand cathedral or temple. Just how drawn is He to the place where His presence used to dwell? I am not sure and will leave that for others to discuss. But of this I am certain: For Him to commune with us, He only asks us to approach Him with open and truly humble hearts. Then, He can fill us to overflowing with indescribable peace...a beautiful indication of His holy and sacred presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment