Monday, May 9, 2016

Arabic Coffee Lesson



This is a picture of Sister Shanas. We were blessed to know her before she got married. She translated English into Sinhalese for the Sri Lankan services for Brother Ferrin and the other preachers. After she married Brother Moses in Sri Lanka, they both came back to Jordan and Brother Moses became the pastor of the Sri Lankan church in Amman. They are sweet and kind people. 

One cold day, they and the Solitarios came up to Husn, where we lived, to do some work on the church. While they were there, Sister Shanas showed me how to make Arabic coffee. 

I had been shown before, but by people that could not speak very good English. For me, making Arabic coffee is a show and tell process. I needed to be shown, but with some explanation. First, Sister Shanas and I went to the store and she showed the right kind of coffee to buy. Then, we went back to the apartment and made it. 

Since I have an aversion to coffee, I cannot use the taste test method to see if is good. But after my Arabic coffee lesson, I was able to prepare coffee for the people that came to the church services in Husn. (We always had a time of fellowship after each service.) The first time, the people told me it was a little strong, but I think they appreciated my efforts and were surprised as well that I attempted this feat of making Arabic coffee. After a while, I got the hang of it and got smiles and "Shukrans" as my reward.

One never does know what skills one will need in life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment