Monday, February 1, 2016

More Hummus, Please

The question must be posed, "What does a person do when living in a foreign country and he/she wants to cook American food?"

Well, I suppose the answer could vary. If the expatriate is living in Jordan, is rich and has nothing better to do than spend their big bucks, they can go to one of the few American-style grocery stores and buy whatever their heart desires. 

Want bacon in Jordan? How does about $20.00 per pound sound?

How about a small bag of organic frozen corn? It is just 10 Jordanian dinars. That is $14.00!

A half pint of Green & Black organic ice cream? $10.00.

Needless to say, anyone living in Jordan and Israel on a limited AIM budget, as we do, pass the bacon, frozen corn, and Green & Black ice cream right by. 

We usually opt instead for cheaper local food like hummus, labenah, pita bread, onions, bell peppers, eggplant, eggs, and street food like rotisserie chickens, falafels, and kebabs. 




Did I really want that organic Green & Black ice cream that I spotted at Miles in Amman? Absolutely, there are no two ways about it, you'd better believe I did.

Did I put it back in the freezer case after getting my photo taken with it for memory's sake, beaming as though I was getting my picture taken with Queen Rania herself?

I sure did, and tried to not be too sad about it.

After all, it was probably freezer burnt, right? They had to bring that organic ice cream a long way to land it a freezer in the middle of the Middle East.

(Maybe it wasn't freezer burnt, but telling myself that sure helped to walk away from that $10.00 half-pint of creamy, decadent, indulgent organic ice cream!)

Forget organic ice cream. Where's the hummus?!



No comments:

Post a Comment