Monday, February 23, 2015

Lee-zards

According to the Levitical laws, lizards such as this one from Israel, were considered "unclean."

"And the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and the mole" (Leviticus 11:30).


Lizards are not my favorite reptile (actually, I don't have a favorite reptile!), but when I see a lizard I invariably think of our friend Betty Ann Smith, who lives in Florida. That is lizard territory. One time when we were at Betty Ann's house, she saw a lizard in her garage. She screamed loudly and quickly came back into the house, scared. 

Betty Ann is from Jamaica and speaks Jamaican English. 

"Brother Bill, Brother Bill," she said to my husband, "There is a big lee-zard in the garage. You must get it out for me!" 

She indicated the size of the "lee-zard." Bill said it was not more than four inches long (including the tail), much smaller than Betty Ann's indicated dimensions, but she is terribly afraid of the creatures so they seem bigger than life to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment